Monday, January 28, 2008

Behavior-Anchored Discipleship

It has been a long time. Let me write regarding what I have been thinking about.
I preached at our church on Jan. 13 and during the preparation for that sermon, I put some dates on events in my life. I came to a realization that the time that elapsed between my accepting Christ and my devoting my life to him was 34 years!
In thinking about my call to ministry, which includes discipling men, I am conscious of the fact that I probably don't have 34 years of producting time left here on earth. So, there is a new sense of urgency in my discipleship ministry.
I have read three books recently that are encouraging me to organize and document a discipleship "process" that is based on ones behavior. The books: LeRoy Eims wrote, "The Lost Art of Disciple Making"; N. Graham Standish wrote, "Humble Leadership"; and "Appreciative Inquiry" by David L. Cooperrider and Diana Whitney.
It is not important now to summarize those books here but know they are informing my thinking and influencing the process that I will be trying to document.
Then last night, I again read John 14:12 (NIV) I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
Jesus was a proponent of behavior anchored discipleship.
I want to know Him and will seek to do what he did; think what he thought; see what he saw; love like he loved. My process will imitate His process.
What do you think?

No comments: